SA ‘well positioned’ for SKA work bids

first_img19 March 2013 South African scientists, engineers, companies and institutions stand to benefit from the invitation for international consortia to bid for early-stage work on the Square Kilometre Array (SKA), an international effort to build the world’s largest radio telescope, which will be co-hosted by South Africa and Australia. Last week, the International SKA Organisation issued an invitation for international consortia to bid for work packages in the pre-construction phase of the SKA, involving the design of the telescope architecture and sub-systems, including components such as antennas, receivers, signal processing systems, data transport and high performance computers. The overall aim of this phase, which is expected to run through to the end of 2016, is to deliver detailed designs and blueprints for the SKA facility to go out to tender for construction. SKA South Africa said in a statement on Friday that it was positioned to play a “prominent role” in responding to this request, both because of the expertise contained in the SKA South Africa project team, and because of the involvement of South African industry in the development and delivery of the SKA prototype MeerKAT telescope. “The MeerKAT engineering team and local industries have been in discussions with their international peers to form consortia that will respond to the request for proposals.” SKA South Africa held an information session for local industry in February, and was now in the process of finalising a subsidy programme aimed at helping local companies and institutions to take part in the SKA pre-construction phase “on a shared risk basis, in order to develop the expertise, competency and know-how to be internationally competitive in bidding for SKA contracts when the telescope is built”. Potential industry and institutional participants were encouraged to keep a check on www.ska.ac.za for information on the requests for proposals and related information. SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

SA leaders’ tributes to ‘father of the nation’

first_img “His departure represents a very sad moment of grief for his family. But it also constitutes a personal loss for us because over many decades, he served both as our guide and one of our fathers. “President Mandela, Madiba, and his generation of freedom fighters walked their long walk and made enormous sacrifices which eventually led to our freedom in 1994. His passing signals the end of an historic era represented by the heroic deeds of his generation.” A pall hangs over Parliament – National Assembly speaker Max Sisulu South Africa’s flags will remain at half mast until after Mandela’s funeral. Madiba taught us how to come together – Archbishop emeritus Desmond Tutu “Earlier tonight, my wife Zanele and I learnt with immense distress and profound sadness of the passing away of one of the greatest sons of our people, Esteemed Member of the Order of Mapungubwe and Nobel Peace laureate, Isithwalandwe President Nelson Mandela,” Thabo Mbeki said in a statement late on Thursday night. We all have to learn from his example – Neren Rau, CEO of the SA Chamber of Business “Our nation has lost its greatest son. Our people have lost a father,” South African President Jacob Zuma said when he announced news that Nelson Mandela, the country’s beloved icon of reconciliation and peace, had died at his home in Houghton, Johannesburg on Thursday night. We should be inspired by his life – film maker Anant Singh “Sacci wishes to add its voice to calls from numerous quarters that South Africa should honour Mandela’s life by reflecting his legacy of nation building and companionship across all walks of life,” Rau said. “We all have to learn from his example to make this world better for all.” “The pain of letting go just seems too great. But in the end, we have to stop thinking about ourselves. After this man gave us so much we have to let him rest.” “Mandela will be remembered as a political visionary who remained concerned with the everyday issues of his fellow citizens,” Neren Rau, chief executive of the SA Chamber of Commerce (Sacci), said on Friday. A “real pain chills all who work in [Parliament’s] precinct”, National Assembly Speaker Max Sisulu, the son of one of Mandela’s best friends Walter Sisulu, said on Friday. “It is a pain we share with millions of people throughout our land, our continent Africa, and beyond. “Living in South Africa has been living with him inside all of us. And so it’s so hard to say goodbye,” Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille said. “I think we fooled ourselves into thinking that Madiba could live forever. We wanted him to stay alive for us. “After Mandela’s release from prison in February 1990, he promised during his first address at the Cape Town City Hall to place the remaining years of his life in the hands of the people. “It was a promise he fulfilled in countless ways,” Sisulu said. “It is a promise, to which we, the elected representatives of the people, must recommit ourselves, if our mourning today is not to be reduced to mere maudlin.”center_img “Over the past 24 years Madiba taught us how to come together and to believe in ourselves and each other. He was a unifier from the moment he walked out of prison,” Tutu said in a statement. “The sun will rise tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. It may not appear as bright as yesterday, but life will carry on. As we enter the mourning period, as a nation, we do so with the greatest dignity and respect, because that is what we owe Madiba and ourselves.” 6 December 2013 South Africa has lost its father, an exceptional human being and a hero to the world, film maker Anant Singh said. “There has never been anyone quite like him and there will never be. We should be inspired by his life and celebrate him with our love. We will all miss him dearly.” Heroes never die – Zelda la Grange, Mandela’s personal assistant Mandela’s passing marks the end of a historic era – former president Thabo Mbeki Archbishop emeritus Desmond Tutu lauded his compatriot and fellow Nobel peace laureate Nelson Mandela on Friday as the man who taught a deeply divided nation how to come together. Sisulu said that a special joint sitting of both Houses of Parliament would be held soon to reflect on Mandela’s life and legacy. It’s so hard to say goodbye – Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille It would be wrong not to celebrate the life he lived – Fedusa general secretary Dennis George “Tata Madiba is undoubtedly the biggest icon ever to emerge from South Africa, and his contribution to South African history can never be sufficiently emphasised,” Federation of Unions of SA (Fedusa) general secretary Dennis George said. “Although we are mourning the passing of Madiba, it would be wrong not to celebrate the life that he lived.” “As sad as it makes me that I will never walk into a room again and see his generous infectious smile … I have come to terms with the fact that Madiba’s legacy is not dependent on his presence,” Zelda la Grange, Mandela’s long-serving personal assistant, said in a statement. “His legacy will not only live on in everything that has been named after him, the books, the images, the movies. It will live on in how we feel when we hear his name, the respect and love, the unity he inspired in us as a country, but particularly how we relate to one another.” He embodied our hopes and dreams – Brand South Africa chairperson Chichi Maponya “Madiba embodied our hopes and the realisation of our dreams,” Brand South Africa chairperson Chichi Maponya said. “We are in deep mourning following this loss of indescribable magnitude which is today reverberating across the world.” Maponya said “one of the greatest gifts [Mandela] has bequeathed to this nation is the courage and strength to believe in a tomorrow that is better than today, a tomorrow in which our people live in dignity and prosperity”. SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Civil bodies in northeast oppose citizenship Bill

first_imgCivil society organisations across most of the northeastern States reunited after eight months to protest against the Centre’s bid to introduce the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2006, ahead of Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s visit to the region on October 5.Memorandum givenThe protests on Thursday were organised in Manipur, Meghalaya and Nagaland under the banner of the Northeast Forum for Indigenous People (NEFIP) comprising some 250 organisations. One of the forum’s constituents, the Assam League of Aborigines Rights Movement, submitted a memorandum to Governor Jagdish Mukhi.In Nagaland capital Kohima, members of the NEFIP and the Joint Committee on Prevention of Illegal Immigration submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, urging him to dissuade the Centre on the controversial Bill.A joint forum of NGOs in Manipur submitted a similar memorandum to the office of Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren Singh.“We have asked the Nagaland government to ensure that the Centre respects the sentiments of people of the northeast by withdrawing the Bill. It will help maintain peace and harmony in the region,” NEFIP vice-president Theja Therieh said.Mr. Shah and Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had over the past few weeks said the Centre was committed to introducing the Citizenship Bill for passage in the Rajya Sabha by December. The Bill seeks to grant Indian citizenship to immigrants belonging to six allegedly persecuted non-Muslim communities who migrated from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan till December 31, 2014.“If the Bill is passed, the updated National Register of Citizens will become meaningless,” said Bikram Hanse, convener of Assam League of Aborigines Rights Movement.last_img read more

Meralco suspends Kelly Nabong

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netKelly Nabong will not play for Meralco on Tuesday for Game 2 of its 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup semifinals series against Star.Bolts team manager Paolo Trillo relayed that the fifth-year center has been indefinitely suspended by the team after his brush with assistant coach Jimmy Alapag late in Game 1 last Sunday.ADVERTISEMENT “Kelly Nabong is suspended indefinitely for conduct unbecoming of a PBA player and for conduct detrimental to the team,” the executive shared in a statement.Nabong figured in an verbal spat against Alapag last Sunday. The two needed to separated in the Meralco bench.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutFrustrated, the bruiser was seen tearing his jersey as he sat at the far end of the bench at Alonte Sports Arena in Biñan, Laguna before quickly making his exit after the Bolts pulled off the 72-66 victory against the Hotshots.The Fil-Am center was also the first man out of the Meralco dugout. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC San Beda evades upset, ousts Perpetual Read Next LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary MOST READ Makabayan bloc: Duterte suspension order on rice importation only a ‘media stunt’ PLAY LIST 02:46Makabayan bloc: Duterte suspension order on rice importation only a ‘media stunt’00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PHcenter_img Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president View comments LATEST STORIES Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight The Bolts shoot for a 2-0 lead against Star later today at Sta. Rosa Multipurpose Complex in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. last_img read more

Contribution to the 2013/2014 Sectoral Debate by State Minister, the Hon. Julian Robinson

first_imgThe Vision 2030 Jamaica – National Development Plan sees the Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) sector as playing a central role in the transformation of Jamaica over the next two decades on the path toward making the transition to becoming a developed country.[Watch the presentation LIVE]ICTs have become engines for social and economic growth globally. Their appropriate utilization can improve the lives of all Jamaicans and the vision is for Jamaica to utilize ICTs to attain developed country status by 2030. This will involve growth of the ICT sector and the application of ICT in all sectors and at all levels to achieve rapid and sustained development.1) Facilitating ICT Investment in the Economy:This is a critical component of the ICT value-creation strategy, which specifically concerns the reversal of our high ICT consumption-to-production ratio and accelerate our positioning as net producers of ICT innovations, with the capacity to satisfy local demand, and supply the regional and, ultimately, global markets.Download State Minister in the Ministry of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining, the Hon. Julian Robinson’s Sectoral Debate presentation2) Improving the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Government through ICT:Targets the overall productivity, cost, and operational effectiveness of the Public sector with particular reference to the sectors responsiveness to the needs of citizens through the purposeful application of appropriate ICT solutions that are geared towards reducing unnecessary bureaucracy and increasing transparency.3) Stimulating Enhanced / New business opportunities in the local ICT sector: Ultimately, if the GOJ assisted in creating and exploiting opportunities for the ICT sector to participate in the aforementioned areas, the commercial incentive can lead to much needed capacity building, the development of the ICT skills of local developers and designers, and the emergence of new business models and entrepreneurial opportunities. We believe that the development of local ICT capacity and competencies must also seek to exploit the significant ICT business opportunities in off/near-shoring and business process outsourcing and seek to serve local and regional public and private sector ICT needs. Indeed, a focus on developing local ICT capacity will enhance the attractiveness of Jamaica as a near-shore ICT destination, given our other competitive geographical attributes…READ MOREDownload State Minister in the Ministry of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining, the Hon. Julian Robinson’s Sectoral Debate presentationlast_img read more