The aftermath of the blazeBhagwantie PetersThe Central Corentyne Chamber of Commerce has expressed concern over reports of inadequate response by the Rose Hall Fire Department upon receipt of a fire in and around the township.This was according to Chamber President Rafeek Mohamed, who spoke with Guyana Times on Thursday.This came in light of concerns raised by residents of Tain, Corentyne last week when a wooden building went up in flames, leaving a family of four homeless.Residents had claimed that fire fighters arrived at the scene with non-functional equipment, hence, they could not perform their duties effectively.On Wednesday, a similar situation arose when a fire erupted at Rose Hall Town which left a pensioner homeless.Mohammed said he could not verify whether the pump was working at the time, but stated that the Chamber is in receipt of such complaints.“We had complaints of inadequate response, inadequate reserves because most of the times when they go to a fire, they would have some water and they would take a long time to get water and by that time most of the building would be burnt out”.Mohammed further stated that the Chamber will be penning a letter to the Guyana Fire Service (GFS) in relation to the constant lapses.On Wednesday evening, it is believed that the fire might have started as a result of an unattended mosquito coil.The owner of the building lives overseas, but Bhagwantie Peters had been living there for the past four years as a caretaker.She told this publication that she left the lit mosquito coil in a plate on the floor next to the bed and went outside. According to her, when she returned, there was fire on the bed.She explained that at the time, there was nothing that she could have done, hence, she evacuated the building and called for help.The fire fighters arrived at the scene but experienced difficulties. “They didn’t have water and the fire catch to a neighbour place. A lot of buildings would have been burnt if the breeze was blowing,” she said.In fact, it was the community which formed a bucket brigade that prevented extensive damage to nearby buildings.A unit from the Albion Sugar factory also arrived on the scene and, they too, had difficulties tapping into a water source.“By the time, the property had already gone flat. They had to get water from the trench and by the time the water started to come, the house already burn,” one resident stated.So far, for the past month, there have been four destructive fires in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), which have left several persons homeless.
16 August 2013 South Africa’s Imperial Logistics has entered into a joint venture with international advisory and procurement firm The Beijing Axis to improve its international supply chain management in Asia. The partnership will enable Imperial and its clients to benefit from increasing trade between Africa and Asia, according to Imperial’s chief integration officer, Cobus Rossouw. “This joint venture produces a team with the ability to build a seamless distribution channel from China – and other Asian, low-cost manufacturing countries – to Africa, and vice versa,” Rossouw said this week. It is expected to boost both firms’ operations in the mining, construction and industrial sectors. “We can support manufacturing up-time, capital project feasibility and cost optimisation,” he said. “This is possible through sourcing, delivering and managing competitively priced, high quality goods. Such wares include raw materials, consumables, maintenance, repair and operations items, construction material and capital equipment. “The Beijing Axis experience and expertise in low-cost country sourcing and international logistics will support our clients and expand our ability to serve their needs in Asia-Africa business initiatives,” Rossouw said. It will also provide operational and strategic support to Imperial’s clients expanding into Asia. The Beijing Axis currently has offices in China, Singapore, Australia and South Africa. “Our joint venture with The Beijing Axis reflects Imperial Logistics’ commitment to ensuring that our clients are positioned to take advantage of global mega-trends like the shift of economic and political power from West to East, and from developed to developing markets,” Rossouw said. SAinfo reporter “The Beijing Axis’ work is always cross-border – supporting international firms as they act in unfamiliar territory in China and Asia, or supporting Chinese and Asian firms as they venture out and go global,” said Beijing Axis managing director Kobus van der Wath.
This World Aids Day on 1 December the HIV epidemic gets a shot of hope with the launch of the Search for the Next Positive Hero SA, which aims to create HIV-positive role-models for the five million South Africans living with the virus.The project is an initiative by the Change the Stigma Project, founded by Charles Jacobs, the first openly HIV-positive finalist in the Mr Gay South Africa competition. In 2011, when Jacobs was nominated as a finalist, he took a courageous step. Having lived with the HIV virus for nine years, he decided to disclose his status publicly, the first time any finalist had done so, and challenge the humiliation associated with HIV and Aids.“People living with HIV often say the stigma they encounter is worse than the disease itself,” Jacobs says. “That stigma is exactly what prolongs the journey from denial to acceptance for anyone who is HIV positive, and is what we aim to change with the search.”In 2012 the NGO Positive Heroes chose Jacobs as their first positive hero. This prompted him to create the Change the Stigma Project, to search for more positive role-models.Watch Charles Jacobs discuss the Change the Stigma Project:“This is not a beauty pageant,” he says. “It is the exact opposite. It’s about sharing your journey that will help others accept who they are. It is about moving away from feeding HIV with fear, and filling it with hope instead.”Trevor Kleinhans, the author of Secrets Make You Sick, joins the search as a patron. Using his public speaking and press experience on the subjects of HIV, gay rights, sexual abuse and drug abuse, he will help spread the message of hope.“Disclosing one’s HIV-positive status is an immensely powerful act,” he says. “In one moment it takes everything negative that society assumes about the disease, and turns it on its head. To see a person full of vitality openly sharing their story, for someone afraid of the judgment of friends, family and the public, is quite simply life-changing.”Beginning on World Aids Day on 1 December 2014, contestants will be able to enter the search by visiting the Change the Stigma Project website. Once finalists have been selected in March 2015, the public will be able to vote for their favourite positive hero. It is then that the journey begins.Positive Hero finalists will share their personal HIV journey via a self-made video. They will then select their own South African HIV charity or non-profit organisation and create an awareness and fundraising project for them, in this way challenging misconceptions about people living with HIV.“Stigma and discrimination has helped the spread of HIV,” says Jacobs. “It’s made people afraid to test and prevented often the most vulnerable from getting care. It’s time that the human progress in how we handle HIV/Aids in our community begins to match the advances being made in the research lab.”
The Bombay High Court at Goa on Tuesday issued notices to Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar’s younger son, Abhijat, over the alleged destruction of forested area to construct an eco-resort near the Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary in south Goa. A Division Bench of Justices Mahesh Sonak and Prithviraj Chavan directed Mr. Abhijat Parrikar, promoter of Hideaway Hospitality, and the State Chief Secretary, Secretary of Environment and Forests and Principal Chief Conservator of Forests, to respond to the notice by March 11. On February 4, Abhijit Dessai, deputy sarpanch at Netravali, filed a petition seeking stay on the construction of the eco-resort promoted by Mr. Abhijat Parrikar, alleging that the project had destroyed forested areas and by-passed several laws. An ordinance had been specially moved to ensure fast-tracked facilitation of the project which is spread over nearly 90,000 sq. metre. Mr. Dessai has also sought the restoration of the land by the promoter.The issue sparked a war of allegations between the Opposition Congress and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) recently. All India Congress Committee Secretary A. Chellakumar, Goa State Congress president Girish Chodankar, former Chief Ministers Digambar Kamat and Pratapsingh Rane, and leader of Opposition Chandrakant Kavlekar addressed a press conference on February 6. They said that the area, which is part of the 83,625 sq metres-plot owned by Mr. Abhijat Parrikar, was deforested in the guise of an eco-tourism project. The Congress legal cell chief and former Goa Advocate General Carlos Ferreira had alleged that the project which was initiated in 2013, and fast-tracked by multiple government agencies like the Investment Promotion Board, State Town and Country Planning and Forest departments. “There have been three governments headed by the BJP from 2012-2014 by Mr. Manohar Parrikar, 2014-2017 by Laxmikant Parsekar and the present one headed by Mr. [Manohar] Parrikar again. All three have been party to nepotism and facilitation of illegalities,” he said. BJP Goa president Vinay Tendulkar, in response to a query from The Hindu, had rubbished the allegations made by the Congress leaders. “There are no illegalities in the project. Mr. Manohar Parrikar’s son will not do anything against the law. He has purchased the land. We have full faith in them,” he said at a press conference last weekend.
Civil society organisations across most of the northeastern States reunited after eight months to protest against the Centre’s bid to introduce the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2006, ahead of Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s visit to the region on October 5.Memorandum givenThe protests on Thursday were organised in Manipur, Meghalaya and Nagaland under the banner of the Northeast Forum for Indigenous People (NEFIP) comprising some 250 organisations. One of the forum’s constituents, the Assam League of Aborigines Rights Movement, submitted a memorandum to Governor Jagdish Mukhi.In Nagaland capital Kohima, members of the NEFIP and the Joint Committee on Prevention of Illegal Immigration submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, urging him to dissuade the Centre on the controversial Bill.A joint forum of NGOs in Manipur submitted a similar memorandum to the office of Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren Singh.“We have asked the Nagaland government to ensure that the Centre respects the sentiments of people of the northeast by withdrawing the Bill. It will help maintain peace and harmony in the region,” NEFIP vice-president Theja Therieh said.Mr. Shah and Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had over the past few weeks said the Centre was committed to introducing the Citizenship Bill for passage in the Rajya Sabha by December. The Bill seeks to grant Indian citizenship to immigrants belonging to six allegedly persecuted non-Muslim communities who migrated from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan till December 31, 2014.“If the Bill is passed, the updated National Register of Citizens will become meaningless,” said Bikram Hanse, convener of Assam League of Aborigines Rights Movement.
Manchester United were held to a 0-0 draw by Valencia in a dour Champions League Group H clash on Tuesday which piled more pressure on their under-fire manager Jose Mourinho amid reports linking former Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane to his job.It was another frustrating outing for United and Mourinho, who finally took some responsibility for his team’s poor form after defiantly defending his tactics and team selection throughout a patchy start to the season.He also acknowledged the team’s technical weaknesses with a defence that looks shaky every time the opposition come forward and is ill-equipped to build attacks, thus forcing predictable long-ball tactics alien to United’s style.”I think there are things that are difficult for me to say and I think you have enough reasons to criticise me,” Mourinho told a press conference.”The players tried. They raised the level of their efforts. They raised the level of their intensity in spite of the fact we don’t have many with that intensity. We don’t have the technical quality to build from the back.”Our attacking players aren’t in their best moments of confidence and individual level.”It was United’s fourth successive winless outing following a 3-1 Premier League defeat by West Ham on Saturday which came on the back of a 1-1 home draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers and League Cup elimination by second-tier Derby County.The result left United second in the group on four points from two games, two behind leaders Juventus who maintained their perfect start with a 3-0 home win over Young Boys. Valencia have one point and Young Boys none.advertisementUnited’s next two Champions League games are against Juventus at home on Oct. 23 and in Turin on Nov. 7.The atmosphere at Old Trafford was rather flat in the first half as United lacked any bite in a contest played at walking pace, with the visitors content to keep them at bay with crisp one-touch passing.Things livened up slightly after the break and Valencia, always looking more likely to score, missed their best chance when former Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi blasted over the bar from close range.Romelu Lukaku forced a pair of good saves from Neto and the visiting keeper also palmed over a Paul Pogba free kick at the other end as United finally showed some purpose up front midway through the second half.Marcus Rashford hit the crossbar with a vicious free kick from a tight angle in the 86th minute but the home side were jeered off the pitch on the final whistle after another lacklustre performance.Chris Smalling tried to be positive despite grim United faces on the pitch and the terraces, with scores of fans leaving well before the end of the match.”We have to stand tall. We’re going through a tough patch and we’re the only ones who can turn it around,” the central defender told BT Sport.”The dressing room is united. We’re sticking together to make sure we turn it around.”(With Reuters inputs)
New Delhi, Oct 29 (PTI) A speeding modified sports car lost control and rammed into a pole here, police said Monday.No casualties were reported in the accident that occurred on Sunday night in south Delhi’s Lodhi Road area near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, they said.The car was being driven by a woman, accompanied by a man, at the time of the accident, they added. She was trying to take a turn but lost control and rammed into the pole. Due to the impact, one of the wheels of the car came off, a police officer said.Fearing arrest, both the occupants of the car fled away from the spot, the officer added. PTI AMP RHL
New Delhi: There is no respite in sight for residents of the national capital from sultry weather as only very light rain is expected in a few isolated pockets on Friday, according to the Meteorological (MeT) department. However, light rain is likely in the city on the weekend owing to a low pressure area over southwest Uttar Pradesh, the MeT said. Mahesh Palawat of Skymet Weather, a private forecaster, said a low pressure area has developed over southwest Uttar Pradesh and it may lead to rains in the national capital. Though not much precipitation is predicted, the temperatures may drop by a couple of notches. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder Delhi is witnessing an unusually long spell of humid weather and only light rains are predicted in the rest of September, the weather expert said. On Friday, the city registered a low of 27.8 degrees Celsius. Humidity levels were recorded at 84 per cent. The city has recorded 378.6 mm rains against the 30-year average of 596.4 mm from June 1, when the monsoon season starts, to September 12 — a deficiency of 37 per cent. In September, the national capital recorded 48.6 mm precipitation against the long-term average of 80.3 mm — a shortfall of 39 per cent. Palawat said multiple low-pressure areas have been developing over central India one after another, restricting the movement of the monsoon trough towards the northern region. Kuldeep Srivastava, a senior scientist at India Meteorological Department, said Delhi received less than expected rains in September this year.
Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #Teenboysfounddead, #teenboysnotreportedmissing, #youngteenboysgunneddown Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, March 20, 2017 – Nassau – Police were yesterday stumped that no one had reported two young teenage boys as missing; the pair was found riddled with bullets in a track road in Yellow Elder Gardens in Nassau on Sunday morning – dead.It was an emotional scene, apparently even for Police and leaders as the pair was left to die on the cold, hard, dirty ground and Police during the initial investigation and media interviews were unable to say that there was even anyone reported missing. Police had promised they would go door to door to find out what happened to these two teens who were killed sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning.#MagneticMediaNews#Teenboysfounddead#teenboysnotreportedmissing#youngteenboysgunneddown Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Rolling Stone caught up with Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott right after he heard the news. “We finally find out we’re in,” he said. “Now we can stop holding our breath and go, ‘Great! How wonderful to be in the same club as the Rolling Stones and the Beatles and the Who and Queen and etc., etc.’ It’s nice. It’s a good club to be in.” Email In addition to this year’s induction as a solo artist, Nicks was previously inducted in 1998 for her work in Fleetwood MacPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Dec 13, 2018 – 11:59 am On Dec. 13 the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame announced their 2019 inductees to be honored on March 29, 2019, at the 34th annual induction ceremony. The final selection includes the Cure, Def Leppard, Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Roxy Music including Brian Eno, and the Zombies. It was the first time on the ballot for Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks and Roxy Music, and Nicks’ win as a solo artist makes her the first woman to ever be inducted twice into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame previously inducted Nicks in 1998 for her work in Fleetwood Mac. Earlier this year, Fleetwood Mac became the first band to receive the MusiCares Person of the Year award for their philanthropy, and their albums Fleetwood Mac (1975) and Rumours (1977) have been inducted into the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame. https://twitter.com/JanetJackson/status/1073203041447350275 The 34th Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will be held on March 29, 2019, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. It will be shown on HBO and heard on SiriusXM. Ticket availability will be announced in January. The 2019 inductees’ exhibit at the Hall’s museum in Cleveland, Ohio will be unveiled the same night.Bon Jovi, Dire Straits Among Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 2018 InducteesRead more Stevie Nicks Scores 2nd Rock & Roll HOF Induction stevie-nicks-scores-her-second-rock-and-roll-hall-fame-induction Twitter As for the other inductees, Pitchfork recapped Radiohead’s divergent reactions last year when they made the previous final ballot. Jonny Greenwood’s response was, “I don’t care,” but Colin Greenwood said he’d be grateful. They didn’t make it on the 33rd round but now they’re among the 34th confirmed inductees. Stevie Nicks Scores Her Second Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Facebook News