FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Recently the FSJ Tourism Board made a presentation to City Council regarding their role working with the City as well as their desire to change a bylaw to allow them to become a society.In 2010, Tourism Fort St. John board was developed with a bylaw that has prevented and limits potential growth opportunities for the tourism organization to operate efficiently in Fort St John.The Board made a request to Council to rescind the bylaw and allow the board to incorporate as registered Society in BC rather than a Board of Council as well as retaining ownership of the branding and name ‘Tourism Fort St. John’. The Tourism Board also requested a financial commitment in the amount of $52,000.00 annually for a three year period (2020 – 2022). The annual funding would continue to provide Fort St. John with tourism services and capacity development through the creation of a business plan, a Tap Know & Go development study, professional development, stakeholder engagement, marketing, administration costs and would take over the NE BCTourism Marketing Cooperative, currently undertaken by the Visitor Centre.Council approved the motion and a repeal bylaw will be drafted for Tourism Fort St.John Bylaw No. 2049, 2010 and a fee for service agreement developed.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday sought reply form Vodafone and Airtel on a plea by the CBI alleging that they were not cooperating with the investigation in the Saradha chit fund case.A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi listed the agency’s plea on April 8 after the mobile service providers denied the allegations. A bench also comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and Sanjiv Khanna was told by Solicitor General Tushar Mehta appearing for the CBI that there was complete lawlessness and anarchy in West Bengal. He said recently police tried to arrest a custom officer for checking the baggage of wife of a TMC leader at the international airport in Kolkata. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’He said the complete incident was recorded in the CCTV. The agency had recently filed a status report relating to the interrogation of the then Kolkata Police commissioner Rajeev Kumar in connection with the scam. The apex court had on March 26 termed as “very very serious” the revelations made by the CBI in its status report relating to interrogation of Kumar. The top court had said that it cannot “close its eyes” if some “very very serious facts” were disclosed to it and directed the agency to file an application seeking appropriate relief against Kumar, who had earlier headed the state SIT to probe the chit fund scam. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KThe top court had refused to drop the contempt proceedings against the West Bengal DGP, the chief secretary and Kumar. It was hearing CBI’s contempt application against various senior officials of the West Bengal government on the ground of non-cooperation in its probe and alleged tampering of evidence, including call data records (CDRs) of key accused and Sardha group CMD Sudipta Sen and Debjani Mukherjee. The court, which had earlier directed the CBI director to file an affidavit giving details about the alleged contempt committed by West Bengal cops and others in the case, had perused the reply of the CBI chief and the fresh status report, pertaining to quizzing of Kumar. The agency had earlier alleged non-cooperation on the West Bengal Police for providing incomplete information and tampering with details to the probe agency. The apex court had said that the allegations made by the CBI were serious enough and it was an “obligation” on part of the agency to disclose full details of the alleged contempt committed by the then police commissioner.
Kolkata: Swashbuckling Andre Russell’s big-hitting prowess will be pitted against Kagiso Rabada’s inch-perfect yorkers for the second time when Kolkata Kight Riders face Delhi Capitals in a return-leg fixture of the IPL here on Friday. Away from the match, the spotlight will also fall on where former KKR and India captain Sourav Ganguly sits during the match. Ganguly will be a ‘visitor’ at his ‘home’ ground of Eden Gardens as he is currently donning the advisor’s hat in the Delhi franchise, which has drawn ‘conflict-of-interest’ charges against him. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhSecond in the IPL table with eight points from six matches, KKR’s season so far has been a Russell show with the Jamaican amassing 257 runs from five innings, out of which 150 have come in sixes alone. His average has been 128.50 while the strike rate is a mind-boggling 212.39, something that has left the opposition clueless on how to stop him. Mahendra Singh Dhoni did it with perfect execution by stranding Dre-Russ (as Russell is known to KKR fans) with his spin-heavy attack en route to handing KKR a crushing seven-wicket defeat in Chennai in their last match. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterKKR’s second defeat this season has been at the hands of Delhi Capitals in a dramatic Super Over finish at Kotla with Rabada winning the battle against Russell. Tasked to defend 11 runs in the Super Over, Rabada was smashed for a four by Russell in the first ball, but returned strongly to uproot the middle stump with an inch-perfect yorker, something Ganguly has termed as the “ball of the tournament”. While KKR will look to avenge their first leg defeat, Delhi, who have six points from as many matches, will be looking for their fourth win of the league to return to top-five. While the KKR fans may be anticipating a Russell-mania at the Eden, the nature of the wicket will also play an important role in Friday’s match. With Delhi Capitals boasting a world class pace attack spearheaded by the 23-year-old South African Rabada, a few insiders at Cricket Association of Bengal have claimed that its president Ganguly may have a ‘say’ in the pitch which could assist pacers. “You will know about the nature of the wicket on the day of the match. Whatever it is, whichever team plays well will win, it’s simple,” Ganguly has said, why replying on the allegations with a straight bat, even as Eden Gardens is set to be divided in loyalty.
MATHURA: Actor and BJP lawmaker Hema Malini on Sunday campaigned in her parliamentary constituency, Mathura, in Uttar Pradesh with her husband and actor, Dharmendra, by her side. The popular Bollywood couple addressed a crowd for the Jat community where a massive crowd turned up. Addressing the rally, Dharmendra recalled how his humble beginnings helped him become a successful actor. “I am the son of a farmer and I have worked very hard in the fields when I was young,” he said. Dharmendra had a brief political stint about ten years ago when he contested the 2004 national elections from Rajasthan’s Bikaner on BJP ticket and won. Raising the poll pitch in the constituency, where the BJP has won four out of six Lok Sabha elections since 1991, Dharmendra told the crowd: “Gao walon, (Hema ji ke liye) vote karna. Nahi to kisi aas paas ki tanki pe chad jaunga aur wahan bahut mausi ko pukarunga. Bahut mausiyan aa jayengi. (Dear villagers, please vote for Hema Malini ji. Else, I will climb on one of the tanks and give a shout out to Mausi ji. I am sure a lot of them will come).” He reminded the crowd of the iconic scene from the movie, “Sholay”, where Hema Malini starred together with her husband and played the role of “Basanti”, a village girl. Hema Malini said she was excited to have her husband by her side. “With just two days remaining for the poll campaign to end in Mathura, people are excited to see me and him together. People have seen both of us together in so many movies. We are seeking votes for Mathura’s development,” she told reporters. Before the rally, she tweeted a picture of two of them together and said it was a “special day”. “Today is also a special day for me! Dharam ji is here in Mathura to campaign for a whole day on my behalf. The public is waiting eagerly to get a glimpse of him & listen to what he has to say! A photo taken in my house in Mathura just now before we leave for campaigning…(sic),” she wrote.
New Delhi/ Lucknow: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister and TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu held a flurry of meetings with Opposition leaders, including Congress president Rahul Gandhi, BSP’s Mayawati and SP chief Akhilesh Yadav, in an apparent bid to rally support for a non-BJP government at the Centre. Naidu, who arrived in the national capital on Friday, also met Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar, Loktantrik Janata Dal leader Sharad Yadav and leaders of the Communist Party of India. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkHe then flew to Lucknow and met the Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party chiefs. “It is a pleasure to welcome Hon’ble Chief Minister Shri N Chandrababu Naidu Ji to Lucknow,” Akhilesh Yadav tweeted. Naidu did not speak to the media after any of his meetings. Sources, however, said that Naidu and Gandhi discussed the possibility of forming a joint alliance of all Opposition parties. He told Gandhi to have a strategy ready, in case the NDA falls short of a majority and still stakes claim to form the government, the sources said. Naidu told all the leaders that “we all should come together and put our act together” to form the next government by keeping the BJP out, a source said. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygenLater, Gandhi, former prime minister Manmohan Singh and other Congress leaders met at UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi’s residence to evolve their party’s strategy. “The campaigning of this Lok Sabha Election 2019 has ended and as we await the last phase of polling, Andhra Pradesh CM Shri N Chandrababu Naidu paid me a visit to discuss the ongoing and future political scenario of our country,” Pawar said in a tweet after the meeting at his residence. Naidu met CPI leader G Sudhakar Reddy and D Raja over breakfast, asking them to “come together”. Reddy and Raja separately met Pawar at his residence. The Telugu Desam Party chief has held several rounds of discussion with various Opposition leaders, including TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee, AAP national convener Arvind Kejriwal and CPI (M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury. Naidu’s TDP was a part of the NDA but quit the alliance a few months ago. On Friday Naidu said that not only the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) but any outfit which is against the BJP is welcome to join a grand alliance after the election results are declared on May 23. As Opposition leaders scramble to form a joint anti-BJP front, hectic deliberations among them are likely to continue in the days ahead.
Madrid – A delegation from the Court of Cassation held, on Tuesday in Madrid, a series of meetings with officials from the Spanish legal apparatus on means to foster bilateral cooperation in the legal field.The Moroccan delegation, led by public prosecutor at the Court of Cassation Mostafa Maddah, held a meeting with the Spanish state’s prosecutor Eduardo Torres-Dulce on ways to promote cooperation and share experiences related to laws and jurisprudence.On this occasion, Maddah gave a presentation of the large-scale reforms undertaken by Morocco in the different areas particularly in relation with the judiciary. Maddah told MAP, after the meeting, that the delegation’s visit is meant to further legal ties between the two countries and get informed about the functioning of the Spanish legal system.
Rabat – Morocco is ranked 130th out of 180 countries in the Reporters Without Borders (RWB) 2015 World Press Freedom index with a score of 39.19. The kingdom rose six positions in the 2015 index from 136th last year to 130th this year.In its 2015 Press Freedom Index, Reporters Without Borders hailed the Moroccan government’s attempts to overhaul media legislation. The non-profit organization said that some of the provisions, especially the proposed abolition of prison sentences for media offence, included in the three bills on “press and publishing,” the “status of professional journalists” and the “National Press Council” unveiled last October are “positive”. However, RWB concluded that “improvements are needed to bring them into line with international standards on freedom of information.” It also added that although the kingdom rose slightly in the 2015 Index, “the freedom of information in Morocco is still constrained both in current practice and in the proposed legislation by the red lines forbidding coverage of the monarchy, Islam and territorial issues, and by the criminalization of blasphemy.”Globally, RWB’s 2015 Index highlights the worldwide deterioration in freedom of information in 2014. “Beset by wars, the growing threat from non-state operatives, violence during demonstrations and the economic crisis, media freedom is in retreat on all five continents,” it said.The Reporters Without Borders World Press Freedom Index ranked the performance of 180 countries according to a range of criteria that include media pluralism and independence, respect for the safety and freedom of journalists, and the legislative, institutional ad infrastructural environment in which the media operate.The top three positions were held by three Scandinavian countries: Finland, which has been in first place for five consecutive years, followed by Norway and Denmark. Turkmenistan, North Korea and Eritrea were the worst performers in this year’s index.
Taroudante -Lahcen Haddad, Morocco’s Minister of Tourism, has called for the de-criminalization of both homosexuality and consensual sex out of wedlock.In an exclusive interview with CNN Arabic at the headquarters of his ministry in Morocco in late October 2015, the minister said that his party, the Popular Movement, a traditionalist party, defends individual freedoms.The minister stated that his push to de-criminalize homosexuality and consensual sex out of wedlock falls within the framework of protecting individual freedoms. He stressed the need to find a solution in the new Penal Code that meet the demands of all stakeholders.The minister has no problem with same sex couples as long as they do not display their sexual orientation publicly to provoke a reaction. “We do not accept a display of one’s sexual tendencies for provocation, but if homosexuality is a personal orientation, practiced in private places, it falls within one’s personal freedom,” Haddad said.Minister Haddad, who referred to himself as a modern liberalist, said that the debate on the issue of homosexuality in Morocco “has not yet been opened.” He expressed his opposition to any leniency for perpetrators of crimes of honor, urging the judges to apply the law as it is.Currently, any sexual relations out of wedlock are punishable by law in Morocco. Article 489 of the Moroccan Penal Code punishes r sexual activities between people of the same by six months to three years imprisonment.
By Bryn MillerRabat – Like in previous elections, the Spanish Popular Party won by large margins in the Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla, located in Morocco’s mainland.Spanish voters failed to break the six-month political deadlock in the congressional elections on Sunday, leaving the conservative Popular Party (PP) and Acting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy in a caretaker role. Rajoy has been in power since 2011, when his party won 186 out of 350 seats in the congressional election. In the next round of congressional elections in December 2015, PP received only 29% of the vote, failing to achieve a majority. The conservative party was unable to form a coalition with one of the other three main parties. Since December, the PP and Rajoy have assumed a caretaker role and the government has remained in deadlock.Rajoy’s party received 33% of the vote on Sunday, beating out the center-left Spanish Socialist Workers’ Party (PSOE) by 10%, leftist United Podemos by 13%, and fourth-place Ciudadanos by 20%. However, the PP was unable to negotiate a coalition deal for the majority.Due to the PP’s repeated success in the elections, Rajoy has asserted this this result gives him the right to resume office even without attaining a majority. However, the PSOE has stated that it will not negotiate a coalition agreement with the PP nor accept Rajoy’s governance, indicating that Spain’s political deadlock will continue.The PP received the highest margins of victory in Ceuta and Melilla, Spain’s two autonomous cities within the borders of Morocco. 52 percent of voters in Ceuta and 50 percent in Melilla voted for Rajoy’s party in Ceuta. Popular Party representatives and Rajoy have visited the cities numerous times, especially before election cycles, to symbolically affirm their commitment to keeping the enclaves.Morocco has clashed with Spain over control of the two enclaves for decades. Although the current international stage appears favorable for Morocco’s attempts to claim the cities, Rajoy’s government would be unlikely to surrender them. Spain has always insisted that the two enclaves are Spanish cities, and denied the existence of a dispute with Morocco over their status.
By Aya SoulimaniMarrakech – Out of the 15,000 candidates that applied to Le Plumier d’Or, only 60 received awards. Two of these students, Yasmine Laarabi from collège Anatole France and Reda El Fahdi from lycée Lyautey in Casablanca, proudly represented Morocco.Founded in 1997, Le Plumier d’Or is an international examination of the French language organized for eighth graders by Défense de la Langue Française (DLF), whose main goal is to preserve and protect the French language. This examination is held in honor of La Semaine de la Francophonie and is sponsored by the Senate, the Navy, and many other patrons, such as Les Belles Lettres, Tours de France and Editions du Triomphe.In order for these Moroccan laureates to participate, they had to fulfil certain qualifications. First, they had to be in 8th grade, which is called the “4e année de college” in France. It was also mandatory for their class to participate as whole in order to take the examination. Throughout the exam, which was held in January, their French teachers had to supervise them and register each student in the class as candidates in the competition.Ms. Laarabi and Mr. El Fahdi were part of the selected 60 laureates, a grou[ which included brilliant students from countries such as the UAE, UK, India, France, India and Germany. In order to be considered excellent French speakers, they first had to take the exam, which had a grammar section (out of 70 points) and an essay section (out of 30 points). Their French professor was responsible for grading the grammar section. The tests with the three highest scores would then be sent to a committee in France, assigned by the DLF, that would be responsible for grading the writing/essay section.In the 11th of March 2016, Yasmine and Reda, along with the other 58 laureates, were sent letters congratulating them for being the winners of 2016 Plumier d’Or examinations and inviting them, along with their teachers, to the Senate’s ceremony in Paris in order to collect their prizes. The prizes consist of books, games, and watches. The ceremony was held May 25, and the laureates got their diplomas at the beginning of this passing June.