The High Court trial of Edward “Pretty Boy” Skeete and Nabadingi “Dangles” Gobin continued before Justice Navindra Singh on Tuesday.Emergency physician, Dr Esaun Reid testified to the injuries he witnessed when Ryan Clementson was rushed to the Accident & Emergencies Section of the Georgetown Public Hospital. Skeete, a mason of Lot 309 Independence Boulevard, Georgetown, and Gobin, a taxi driver from 1049 Aubrey Barker Street, South Ruimveldt, had denied murdering 25-year-old Clementson of Mocha Arcadia, East Bank Demerara, between July 14 and 24, 2015 at Tucville, Georgetown.Dr Reid told the court on Tuesday that when the patient arrived, he was wet and without a shirt, with a gunshot injury to the right thigh which was actively bleeding. The expert witness told the jury that the injury was a few millimetres in diameter.Defence Attorney Nigel Hughes, in his cross-examination, sought to establish doubt as to what object actually caused Clementson’s injuries as he could not recall seeing an exit wound or warhead. Under re-examination by Lead Prosecutor Narissa Leander, the doctor explained that not all gunshot injuries have exit wounds.After some back-and-forth exchanges between the defence and prosecution, Dr Reid completed his testimony and a voir dire (trial within a trial) commenced and continued into the afternoon session.The men on trial are accused of opening fire on Clementson and his friend Ayodele Solomon on July 14, 2015 near the Turning Point Snackette in Tucville. Clementson succumbed almost two weeks later from cardiac arrest following surgery.Skeete and Gobin are represented by Attorneys Hughes and Mark Waldron while State Counsels Leander, Tiffini Lyken and Abigail Gibbs are presenting the State’s case.
However, Davies adds the idea is still a long ways off from being set in stone and his notice of motion is just a first step in starting the discussions. It might look something along the lines of a ‘Greater Fort St. John Area’.Although it’s still just an idea, on Monday, Fort St. John City Councillor Dan Davies put forward a notice of motion to the City, to generate discussions and determine the interest of nearby municipalities in potentially forming a regional municipality.- Advertisement -Davies says his suggestion stems from the fact that nearby residents have approached the City, wondering how they can be incorporated into its boundaries.The first thing that would have to happen is to consult with the other potential areas that might form the regional municipality and find out whether they are interested in examining the idea, says Davies, who spoke on Issues and Answers, Wednesday morning.He says he would like to approach nearby areas, like Taylor, and Electoral Areas B and C to determine their willingness to participate.Davies says one potential benefit for having this type regional municipality is cost sharing, which could ultimately lead to cost savings for residents and governments.Advertisement
With just under two months to go to the end of 2016 cars sales have finally came back to near the numbers they were before the recession hit. It’s a changed world in the motor trade over them years and in Co. Donegal in particular the change is clearer than in anywhere else in Ireland. Three German blue ribbon brands are no longer available new in Co. Donegal. Dealerships for BMW, Mercedes and Audi no longer are based in Co. Donegal. These brands would have the highest sales in Ireland, in Donegal, outside the city before the recession.PCP (Personal Contract Plan) is the buzz words for 2016. The number one selling car for 2016 is and will be the Hyundai Tucson by a country mile. We tested this SUV earlier this year and it has maintained it number one figure all this year. The timing of the Tucsons arrival and its payment plan was bold and it payed off in winning the title of Ireland’s best selling car. Advertisement The best selling car in Donegal this year so far, the Tucson from Hyundai which we tested earlier this year. Photo Brian McDaidHyundai have been here for years but it will be the last three or four years they will be remembered for. People that never bought a new car in their life bought a new car in 2016 because of PCP. It doesn’t seem to matter anymore that most of customers will never own their car in PCP as they opt at the end of their payment plan to trade in for a new car.PCP with a difference! This week my report comes from the driving seat of a new beetle. I am in a Beetle because Volkswagen are the nearest favourites to pip Hyundai in the manufactures race for the best overall sales in 2016. The recently revised beetle are a class act. There is something so nostalgic about these cars.A familiar shape that has managed to stay in production for so long, the purists will say it nothing like the old air-cooledrear-engined model it replaced. But for me it’s as near as we will get to one of the great icon of motoring history. Advertisement The Beetle on the bootlid of a new model in the showroom in JJ Reids in Letterkenny. Photo Brian McDaidEighty years ago in 1936 there was a PCP in operation for the beetle 20 years before it was even built. The PCP was the People’s Car Payment.Back then the idea had been for a small saloon that could carry a German family of five flat-out at 100kph along the country’s new autobahns. It was to have cost 990 Reich Marks, which represented 31 weeks’ pay for the average German worker in 1936. To buy one, however, members of the Volk had to join a special savings scheme run by the organisation KdF (Kraft durch Freude, or Strength through Joy); from 1938, the Volkswagen, The People’s Car was officially named the KdF Wagen. The was the same car German families had saved up for before Hitler’s invasion of Poland dashed their hopes.Ultimately, the sheer quality, along with the affordability, reliability, economy and distinct look and feel of the Beetle, ensured its success. It had, though, been touch and go for Volkswagen in 1945. Although the car had been on the drawing board since 1934, following a meeting between Hitler and Porsche, the Volkswagen failed to get into production before the war.Eighty years on and you still can buy a new Beetle now the only difference is you get the car first then you pay in for it on a payment plan.One of two Vw Beetles which we drove their week. Photo Brian McDaidI am old enough to remember the original beetle on the road, even remember the very early version pulling for petrol where I worked as a petrol pump attendant and me unable to find where to put the regular petrol into it. In those days you had to lift the bonnet to locate the petrol tank. Driving the new beetle this week I could not resist pulling the bonnet to see what had changed. The old familiar squeaking of the old spring loaded bonnet have gone, now the engine has moved to front to replace where the big spare wheel and petrol tank once lived.Inside the beetle the dash is so like the old version which comes in black or colour coded like the exterior. Driving looking out through the small window has so much a feel of driving the old beetle. The retro interior of the New VW Beetle reminds of the original car it replaced. Photo Brian McDaidThe beetle was the best selling car in the world at one time. Now the golf which replaced the beetle in the 70’s is still the second best selling car in Ireland in 2016.Even the Golf is over 40 years old but it style and heritage is still drawing customers to make it the 2nd best selling car in Ireland.The next couple of weeks will show which manufacture, Hyundai who is presently in first, VW who is in 2nd and Toyota in 3rd will make it to the number one spot for Christmas.Happy motoring folks. DD Motoring: 2016, the year of Personal Contract Plans was last modified: November 9th, 2016 by Brian McDaidShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:beetlebrian mc daidhyundai tusconmotoringpcpreviewvolkswagen
MOTORISTS are being warned to drive with car today after a heavy overnight frost caused long tailbacks on many routes earlier.At one stage traffic was tailed back from Mountain Top in Letterkenny all the way to Illistrin.The frost will lift later – but Met Eireann says roads in rural areas will be treacherous again this afternoon as rain turns to snow, especially in the hills. “Some heavy spells of rain are likely at times accompanied by blustery winds. However the wind and rain will ease off later. Cold, with highest afternoon temperatures ranging 3 to 9 degrees Celsius – coldest in the north, with some hill snow,” is the latest update. ROADS WARNING AS ICE CONTINUES TO CAUSE CHAOS – AND SNOW ON THE WAY was last modified: January 14th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Most aircraft take off from Lagos, Nigeria’s biggest city, in the direction of the Atlantic, and turn back toward the coast. “We still don’t have any concrete information of what became of the plane,” Ibinola said. “We’ve tried from neighboring countries to see if the plane landed there but there’s no such information.” Bellview is a privately owned Nigerian airline that mostly operates a fleet of mostly Boeing 737s on internal routes and throughout West Africa. – Associated Press LAGOS, Nigeria – An airliner carrying 114 people was reported missing shortly after taking off from the Nigerian city of Lagos, officials and media reported early today. The Nigerian aircraft, operated by Bellview Airlines, lost contact with the control tower five minutes after taking off at 8:45 p.m. on Saturday, said Jide Ibinola, a spokesman for the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria. It was headed for the capital, Abuja. Ibinola said those aboard included 108 passengers and six crew. Their nationalities were not immediately known. On its Web site, CNN news said Nigerian aviation authorities had confirmed that the plane had crashed. This could not be immediately confirmed. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!